Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Location spotting

The plot is moving on apace now.

So far I have been researching Poland in the first months of WW2, Liverpool during the Blitz and the post war housing boom and now it's time to look around the East End of London where Max and eventually his young family will move to.

The Museum in Docklands is a great resource but I have been there so often recently that I think the young receptionist is wondering what I'm up to. I have been taking copious notes about the history of the Isle of Dogs and the growth of Docklands as a financial district. I'm planning for Max to strike out on his own and move to the East End of London sometime in the 1960's and the whole timeline for the developments in Docklands will fit really well with the growth of his business empire.

My problem has been where will he live when he moves down, so on Sunday I set off to walk around the looking for likely locations. As I've said before, I have to have a picture in my head before I can put a character in place, I need to be able to see the streets he would have walked, the pubs he would have drunk in and the markets where his wife would have shopped . If you look hard enough you can still find streets in East London that haven't changed much in 100 years. Sure, some of them have been gentrified and are no longer the working class areas they used to be, but with a bit of imagination I'm now sure that Max would have moved down to Limehouse.

I thought that you might like to see some of the picture I took around Brick Lane/Spitalfields and from the window of the 135 bus through Limehouse back to Canary Wharf



No comments: