Friday, January 30, 2009

I miss my Mum and Dad

I wish that I had listen more to my Mum and Dad when they were talking about the war.  I wish they were still here so that I could ask them one of the thousands of questions about Liverpool in the post war years that they would have been able to answer in the blink of an eye. 

I wasn't a bad daughter and I loved to hear their reminiscences but I didn't ask enough questions, though mind you I didn't know that some years down the line I was going to have a stab at writing a book.

It's the little things that are the hardest to find out, when did the the milkman start delivering milk in bottles rather than from a large churn on the back of a cart? When the NHS was born did it mean from day one that you had access to a free GP or did you still have to pay to see your old one until new doctors had been trained up?  What was the name of the perm solution you used (Twink rings a bell) and was it available during the war? Did 'nice' girls use gravy browning on their legs when they couldn't get stockings or was that just the floosies?

I've found some  videos on YouTube of Liverpool in the 1950's and London in the swinging 60's that give a real flavour of the time.  If you fancy looking at them you can find the links in the Research section at the bottom of this page - happy viewing...BUGGER - I must have been more addled than I thought the other night when  was trawling YouTube - just realised that I haven't saved the links in Research  -  Sod it, it looks like I'll have start all over again!

No comments: