Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Wasting time

I have wasted so much time trying to find a way to attach my notes and spider charts to the blog that I have decided to just write the research up long hand. I know that this must make me look like a techno dinosaur but if I spent any more time fiddling about with Google gadgets I will probably go mad!!!

I'm still ploughing through all the research material - sorry that made it sound like a chore, it isn't but it does take ages. I never imagined when I started this quite how long it would take, but the more I learn, the more I realise how little I know.

We are talking here about a pivotal period in the history of the world and I'm ashamed to admit how little I know about the second world war and how it impacted on mainland Europe. Not just the politics and the battles but the impact on the lives of ordinary people. It is so hard to imagine how people's lives changed literally overnight. One day they were going about their business, Dad's went of to work in the morning, kid's squabbled with their Mum's before trudging off to school, normal things, everyday trails and tribulations, will we be able to afford a holiday next year? Will granny be able to cope on her own much longer in that big house? Will the trade unions really call a strike at the factory? And then in the time it takes to switch on the radio your whole world is turned upside down.

Russia and Germany have decided to join forces and split up Poland between them. Germany is invading from the West and Russia from the East.

No comments: