Monday, January 26, 2009

Try the ONS.....

Do you remember I was trying to find out if Max would have needed a passport or some other form of identity papers to get a marriage licence in the 1940's, well here is the definitive answer from the ONS (that's The Office of National Statistics to you and me) - and all it took was one email - 


I  am  writing  in response to your recent email in which you enquire about
giving  notice in the second world war. For the purposes of taking a notice
of marriage in the 1930's and 1940's the Superintendent Registrar had to be
satisfied  that  the  information  supplied  by  each  person  was correct.
However,  I  can  confirm  that  there  was  no  legislation  that required
documentary evidence to be supplied to support the information given.

I  am afraid I cannot advise on the requirements of a refugee to be allowed
to  enter  the  United  Kingdom  during  the  second world war. Perhaps the
National Archives, or the Red Cross may be able to help.

Yours sincerely

Marriages and Civil Partnerships Casework Manager

I just love this country!!

1 comment:

Prophecy news watch said...

This is nice post which I was awaiting for such an article and I have gained some useful information from this site. Thanks for sharing this information.

Spiritual thinking